Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel, and act. It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make choices. Mental health is important at every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood.
Why Yoga: Yoga and mental and physical health are closely entwined. It's important for us to understand that not all conditions are visible on the outside, and to learn how we can make safer spaces for someone working with their mental health.
Did you know?
- 43.8 million adults experience mental illness every year.
- 1 in 5 Americans experience mental illness.
- 1 in 25 Americans experience a serious mental illness.
- Half of chronic mental illness begins by age 14, and ¾ by age 24.
- Mental Illness and Addiction affects 10.2 million people.
- 26% Of people experiencing homelessness also experience mental illness.
- 24% of the people experiencing incarceration also experience mental illness.
- Depression is the leading cause of disability worldwide.
- Mental illness costs America $193B in lost earnings.
- In 2013, $201B was spent on treating mental health illness both institutionalized, and out-patient. 40% of that was spent on institutionalized patients.
- 90% of people who die by suicide had a history of mental illness.
- 60% of adults and 50% of children and teens report not receiving support from healthcare professionals related to mental illness.